Thursday, July 17, 2014

Erebus: Operation Overdue


This week I watched this movie.  I sat alone in the lounge, my eyes riveted to the screen. There were a lot of bereaved mums. I cried. I was in New Zealand when this crash happened in 1979.

I told myself, I will never go to the snow again. With a few days, I hear about the crash of Malaysian Airlines. 

Erebus: Operation Overdue

World Premiere
New Zealand 2014 / 72min. (With the kind support of TVNZ)
Directors Peter Burger, Charlotte Purdy. Producer Carmen J Leonard.
On 28 November 1979, an Air New Zealand jet with 257 passengers went missing during a sightseeing tour over Antarctica. Within hours, 11 ordinary police officers were called to duty to face the formidable Mount Erebus. As the police recovered the victims, an investigation team tried to uncover the mystery of how a jet could fly into a mountain in broad daylight. Did the airline have a secret it wanted to bury? This film tells the story of four New Zealand police officers who went to Antarctica as part of the police operation to recover the victims of the crash.
For the first time, an Air New Zealand senior staff member provides the inside story of the airline that was accused of one of the largest corporate cover-ups in New Zealand’s history. Set in the beautiful yet hostile environment of Antarctica, this is the emotional and compelling true story of an extraordinary police operation.

http://www.documentaryedge.org.nz/2014/ak/film/erebus-operation-overdue

No comments:

Post a Comment